As COVID long haul continues to be understood and evaluated, treatment options are limited. With an increasing number of people suffering from COVID long haul symptoms, there are some natural treatments for COVID long haul that can help speed up recovery.
COVID Long Haul Symptoms
Odds are that you or someone you know will suffer from COVID long haul symptoms. Although varying and different for each individual, some of the reported COVID long haul symptoms include shortness of breath, fatigue, brain fog, heart rate dysregulation, exercise intolerance, and multisystem inflammatory syndrome.
Doctors and researchers have a few speculations about the causes of COVID long haul, which include chronic inflammation, immune response and the body’s inability to clear the virus.
Interestingly, research has found that women between the ages of 40-60 are more likely to experience COVID long haul symptoms. This could be related to the fact that autoimmune responses are more likely to occur in middle aged women.
Natural Treatment for COVID Long Haul Relief
Fortunately, there are several natural treatments and methods that can reduce overall inflammation in our bodies. These natural treatments work to balance and increase efficiency in your immune systems. This boost in immunity can mitigate or possibly prevent long standing issues after a COVID infection.
As with any illness, self care and rest are always recommended.
Some Natural Treatment options to try:
- Ensure your Vitamin C & D levels are more than adequate. If you think you're not getting enough Vitamin C through your diet or Vitamin D from sunlight, then having your levels checked may be a good idea. Supplementation may be recommended if necessary.
- Eat whole foods that are high in protein, fiber and micronutrients to support a healthy and strong immune system. Upwards of 100g of protein per day has been suggested by nutrition organizations. When you eat the colors of the rainbow, daily you’re getting some of the micronutrients needed to recover.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates, sugar, processed meats and alcohol to help reduce inflammation in the body. Lowering overall blood sugar may reduce risk for acute and chronic COVID symptoms.
- Avoid allergy exposure. Mast Cell Activation Syndrome and histamine intolerance are suspected to be at the root of some of the symptoms that manifest as Long COVID. Reducing allergy exposure can help to reduce symptoms naturally.
- Take a low-histamine probiotic or eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, legumes and seeds for their soluble and insoluble fiber content. Eating to help diversify and increase healthy gut bacteria which will benefit your immune response and system.
- Aim for at least 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night and create a sleep hygiene routine if necessary. Adequate sleep is critical in giving our bodies time to repair and to fight off infection.
- Partake in light to moderate exercise as your body allows to help strengthen your immune system. After COVID it may take some time to get back to your regular endurance levels so start slow.
- Plan time for yourself to manage stress levels, whether through meditation, journaling, deep breathing or yoga; find something that brings you peace and calm. Chronic stress can lower our immune function and increase inflammation making recovery take longer.
At first glance, these techniques and treatments may seem apparent but often require intentionality and planning to put into practice. If you’re looking for guidance and an individualized plan that will support your efforts towards mitigating your COVID long haul symptoms, Mymee might be right for you. Mymee Core is a 16 session program with a certified health coach that will help you figure out what is behind your symptoms implement these natural treatments based on your specific symptoms.
With these natural treatments for COVID long haul, you can begin your journey towards recovery one step at a time and promote overall immune strength and wellness.